No Title X funding for facilities offering or referring abortions?
Jun 07, 2018
New Hampshire’s U.S. senators Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan both oppose President Trump’s proposal to end federal Title X funding for any family planning facility that offers abortions on-site, or that refers patients for abortions. Title X generally provides federal funding for family planning services, which means the proposed rule would end Title X funding for many Planned Parenthood clinics. However, the clinics would still be able to receive Medicaid dollars.
“Do you support the Trump proposal to end federal Title X funding for any family planning facility that offers abortion on-site or even referrals?”
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page May 24, 2018
What Participants Said
Yes: 92 citizens were in favor of ending Title X funding for family planning facilities that offer abortions.
- “Yes. … Abortion is a failure of family planning. Pay for your own failure.”
- “The people who seek services at PP or people who just support them should donate to PP. Taxpayer money shouldn't go to PP.”
- “From 2012-2016, PP has donated $50mil to elect Democrats, about $30mil in the 2016 election. They should not receive tax dollars for that reason alone.”
No: 64 citizens were opposed to ending Title X funding for family planning facilities that offer abortions.
- “Planned Parenthood & other facilities help prevent unwanted pregnancies and the life long negative social ramifications that result. A child has the right to be wanted.”
- “Many of these facilities provide contraception and other family planning services. Also, abortion until fetal viability is a constitutionally-protected right, and should therefore be treated for federal funding purposes as no different than any other medical procedure.”
- “This will make it harder for women to get the healthcare they need.”
Other: 27 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- Reasons for abortions: “I think it’s beneficial to first acknowledge that aborting a healthy fetus for convenience (versus rape or incest) is very different than when parents have to choose to abort an unhealthy fetus. One is not the same as the other.”
- Federal funding: “Federal funding of every program needs to be audited. EVERY program.”
- Privacy: “The government needs to mind their business and stop trying to run the private lives of the people.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.