Reinstate concealed carry permits?
May 03, 2018
Former Sen. Molly Kelly, a Democratic candidate for governor, argues anyone carrying a concealed weapon in NH should need a permit to do so. In 2017, Gov. Sununu signed a repeal of such concealed carry licenses. Proponents say permits keep bad actors from carrying hidden guns. Opponents argue concealed carry permits violate the 2nd Amendment and don’t stop criminals. Read more about gun laws in New Hampshire
“Should NH reinstate concealed carry permits?”
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page April 28, 2018
What Participants Said
No: 169 citizens were opposed to reinstating concealed carry permits.
- “NO! You can open carry without a permit why should you need one to conceal carry?”
- “No… Criminals do not apply for a carry license, so this only impacts the law abiding.”
- “Looks like I know who's not getting my vote. We might not be a red state here in NH, but an anti-gun platform is still a loser here.”
Yes: 11 citizens were in favor of reinstating concealed carry permits.
- “Law-abiding, responsible gun owners should welcome making it a bit more difficult for dangerous people to carry loaded guns in public, and to allow prosecution of violators. As an independent, ex-GOP active NH voter, I support Ms. Kelly's proposal.”
- “If they want to carry, they should have a permit!”
Other: 25 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- Other gun laws: “How about they make the gun background check system actually work?”
- Current status: “As a side note the permit system is still intact ... it just is not a mandated requirement any longer.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.