Should liquor be sold only in state stores?
Oct 24, 2017
In New Hampshire, beer, wine, and fortified wine can be sold at grocery or convenience stores. However, the state has a monopoly on sales of hard alcohol. Liquor sales in New Hampshire are limited to 80 state-run stores, managed by the state liquor commission. Read more about this issue.
"Should liquor in NH continue to be sold only in state-run stores?"
Discussion held on Citizens Count NH website and Facebook page October 24, 2017
What Participants Said
Yes: 126 citizens were in favor of continuing to sell liquor only in state-run stores in New Hampshire.
- “Yes. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Out of staters flock to this state because of our low prices. This system works.”
- “Yes, it provides great state revenue, is at a cheaper price than the private liquor stores in most states, and private companies can still profit on beer and wine.”
- “The pricing is great, the selection is too and their locations make tons of money from other states. I'm good with it.”
No: 97 citizens were opposed to continuing to sell liquor only in state-run stores in New Hampshire.
- “The state should not have a monopoly on sales. Liquor should be able to be sold anywhere else just like beer.”
- “No. Get the government out of private business. Their nose doesn't belong in the free market.”
- “The state shouldn’t be selling booze or any other addictive, unhealthy drugs. Let people buy them in grocery stores and pay a tax on it. No need to spend state money on real estate, inventory, and staff of state-owned package stores.”
Other: 18 citizens addressed their comments to related questions and issues.
- Indecision: “I’d have to see more information before deciding. I’d like to know if there’s been any dishonesty by state officials and if so have any been prosecuted? I’d also like to [know] the expected tax income for the state… what can we expect with privatization?”
- Marijuana policy: “If you allow the sale of recreational booze, you must have recreational marijuana.”
- Store hours: “I don't care if the states the only one that sells liquor but I wish they would stay open later.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.