Slight majority support annual car inspections - 212 participants

Jan 29, 2015

HB 387 would nix the annual inspectino requirement in favor of checking cars every other year. On January 29, Citizens Count, NH’s Live Free or Die Alliance decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should New Hampshire change its annual requirement for car inspections to every other year (and double the inspection fee to maintain revenue)?”

“Should New Hampshire change its annual requirement for car inspections to every other year (and double the inspection fee to maintain revenue)?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Car Inspections NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 212 participants gave 376 responses

A total of 52% of those participating gave a ‘yes or no’ response to the question. The remaining 48% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a ‘yes or no’ response. In total, 212 individuals from New Hampshire contributed a total of 376 responses or reactions to this question. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

No: A strong majority, at 58% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were opposed to changing the annual requirement for car inspections to every other year. 

  • “A lot can go wrong in twelve months.”
  • “I've seen cars just 2 or 3 years old fail for things, so things need to remain the same in my opinion.”
  • “Sounds like a profoundly bad idea that will certainly result in more dangerous clunkers on the road.”

Yes: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 42%, were in favor of changing the annual requirement for car inspections to every other year.   

  • “Every year is just not needed.”
  • “This will help those of us too broke for new cars, and too broke to pay hundreds, even thousands for 'repairs' to get a state inspection.”
  • “We drive our cars every day. We should be able to notice when it is not operating properly and have it diagnosed.”

Other: As noted above, 48% of those participating did not give a ‘yes or no’ response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included many commenters who called for abolishing car inspections altogether.  

  • “Car inspections are a waste of money, time, and merely a source of revenue for the state for prosecuting people for having hurt no one.”
  • “If a motorist doesn't have the common sense or decency to keep their vehicle in a safe condition, let them bear the liability issues if their unwise choices impact others or themselves.”
  • “An inspection station should not be able to profit from a repair if they were the inspection station that failed the vehicle.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Site-wide Search

Related Bill

Join CCNH-LFDA

Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 

JOIN TODAY ▸

©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.