Strong majority oppose criminalizing Kratom - 128 participants

Sep 01, 2016

This week the federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) announced it will add Kratom to the Schedule I list of illegal drugs. The New Hampshire Legislature considered, but ultimately rejected, a ban on Kratom this year. Read more about this issue. On September 1, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Do you support the federal government placing Kratom on the Schedule I list of illegal drugs?”

“Do you support the federal government placing Kratom on the Schedule I list of illegal drugs?”

Results: Yes or No Respondents

Kratom NH Citizen Voices Chart

Participation: 128 participants gave 410 responses

A total of 75% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 25% of participants, a higher than usual percentage, engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 410 responses from 128 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)

What Participants Said:

No: A strong majority, at 96% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, opposed making Kratom illegal.

  • “Kratom is a natural pain reliever and it can be used to get off of opiates. Criminalizing Kratom is only exacerbating the opiate crisis.”
  • “NH already made this decision.”
  • “It has helped many people stay away from pharmaceutical drugs… vices are not crimes.”

Yes:  The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 4%, supported making Kratom illegal.

  • “If people are not educated about the adverse effects that can be suffered, including addiction, then the drug may become more popular and more damage may be seen.”
  • “Anything that acts in a way that changes someone should be monitored.”

Other: As noted above, 25% of those participating—a larger than usual percentage—did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:

  • Ignorance of the topic: “Never heard of Kratom.”
  • The powers of the DEA: “Why is a non-elected body making law?”
  • Legal status of other drugs: “Alcohol was illegal at one point, until the government realized what a cash cow it could be.”

*Editor selection of actual participant quotes. 

Click here to read the full Facebook discussion of this question. 

Know someone who would be interested in these results? Forward them the summary version of this report. 

Do you think the federal government should place Kratom on its list of Schedule I illegal drugs? Leave a comment and have your say! 

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Site-wide Search

Related Bill


Join our constantly growing community. Membership is free and supports our efforts to help NH citizens become informed and engaged. 


©2017 Live Free or Die Alliance | The Live Free or Die Alliance is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.