Strong majority support labeling on genetically modified foods - 158 participants
Feb 08, 2016
A bill submitted for the 2016 session, HB1674, would have required labels on food with genetically modified organisms (GMOs). The bill was voted down in the House on February 10. Read more about this issue. On February 8, the LFDA decided to put the issue to its Facebook members, posting the question, “Should NH require labels on genetically engineered food?”
Should NH require labels on GMO foods?
Participation: 158 participants gave 702 responses.
A total of 84% of those participating gave a 'yes or no' response to the question. The remaining 16% of participants engaged in the discussion but did not give a yes or no response. In total, the LFDA received 702 responses from 158 individuals. (Click here for details on our methodology.)
What Participants Said
Yes: A clear majority, at 83% of ‘yes or no’ respondents, were in favor of NH requiring labels on GMOs.
- "GMO's are dangerous, cause disease and have no place in our food chain.”
- “I want to know if my food has been genetically altered—and since the companies won't do it voluntarily, it seems someone needs to force them to reveal that info to the consumers.”
- “An individual has a right to know what they are purchasing as well as consuming.”
No: The minority of ‘yes or no’ respondents, at 17%, opposed NH requiring labels on GMOs.
- “There are no nutritional differences between GMOs and non-GMOs. The state shouldn't be privileging the choice of those who choose to avoid them by forcing them to have scary, unfounded labels.”
- “No, because it's anti-business, arbitrary, and anti-scientific.”
- “It would hurt small food producers who can't afford lobbyists to buy them the carve-outs and exemptions the big food corporations would likely get.”
Other: As noted above, 16% of those participating did not give a yes or no response, instead addressing their comments to related questions and issues. These included:
- Questioning the validity of the issue itself: “Nearly all food has been genetically modified since the early pioneer days.”
- Discussing the possible benefits of non GMO food: “Some people have severe health issues and are put on non GMO diets to maintain health.”
- Debating whether people would recognize labels on GMOs: “I think the majority of people shopping in the stores look for the bargain labels so I think most people wouldn't pay much attention to any other labels the store puts on their produce.”
*Editor selection of actual participant quotes.